Adjustment of Status

Any foreign individual who is physically present in the United States, may apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident of the United States if the applicant is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and an immigrant visa is immediately available at the time of filing of the application.

The benefit is that the foreign individual does not have to leave the United States to apply for a Green Card. While the application is pending, the foreign individual can apply for temporary employment authorization.